Oxford Writers Retreat (Advance)
At KWA, we encourage those who are actively writing to be part of a critique group. These groups help writers strengthen their skills through supportive, thoughtful, and useful critique.
Typically, critique groups meet weekly and look something like this:
- Group consists of 3-8 people and has a Facilitator who directs the group.
- Group member provides up to 5 pages of their work to each of the other members.
(Times New Roman, 12pt, double-spaced, normal margins).
- Individuals read their 5 pages out loud while the other members follow along and make
notes on their copies.
- The group follows with critique which includes both positive feedback and suggestions
- Individuals take turns reading until everyone in the group has had a chance to read and
Facilitators for KWA Critique Groups...
Must be KWA members (attendees of the group are not required to be members).
Can choose to have their groups follow the outline referenced above or customize it. The ultimate goal is to gather, read each others’ work, and give constructive feedback.
Can choose to meet face-to-face or online.
Can determine the day, time, location, and duration of the meeting.
Can choose a co-facilitator to assist.
If you would like to facilitate a KWA critique group, please click the arrow and submit your request along with the location, days/times of your group.
KWA Critique Group Attendees...
Must be actively writing and prepared to share their work according to the facilitator’s requirements for that group.
Should plan to attend regularly.
Should give honest and helpful feedback to fellow attendees and refrain from being overly flattering or overly critical, neither of which is beneficial to the writer.
Have the authority to apply suggested feedback to their work or reject it.
Should not present the same work more than once.
If you would like to join a KWA critique group, please post a request on our KWA Facebook page.